Celebrating Lent 2013
Welcome to Lent 2013! This year we are hearing Luke’s gospel, filled with stories of journeys, describing Jesus on “the way” to Jerusalem, walking through death to life. We are called to follow the same path. As our vision statement acknowledges, we are on a “pilgrimage of faith” and we who follow Jesus come to find that Christ himself is the way.
We do not undertake this Passover journey alone; our individual and communal journeys are tied together. Luke’s gospel also welcomes the gentiles, the outsiders. Our Just Community focus this Lent is “Welcome the Stranger,” (the work of Undoing Racism, Honduras Mission, and Backside Ministries). Our Lenten readings remind us that we all sin, we all “miss the mark” – and we’re all called to repentance and conversion of hearts and lives. We need to be careful not to set ourselves above others – Jesus was tempted to “lord it over”, but refused to go that route. Lent invites us to look at that which we have shut out, so that we are able to welcome the new – renewed life, a changed perspective, a stranger or foreigner, an unexpected gift…
So, what will be your prayer, your fasting, and alms-giving this lent? What will help you to continue walking through suffering –and even death—to new life? What do you need to let go of or turn away from, in order to follow Christ?
For celebrating Lent at home or throughout the day, we offer the traditional Little Black Books (available in the Gathering Area) for teens and adults. A variety of CD’s from Lighthouse Media are available in the Com-munity Center. Rice Bowls are available for all; contributions are distributed to needy throughout the world. For families with young children (preschool through 6th) there are Family Lenten Packets in the gathering area: please be sure to take one. Also, please take a copy of "What Do I ABC This Lent?" They are next to
LENTEN OPPORTUNITIES FOR PRAYER and ENRICHMENT:
- Stations of the Cross will be a focus throughout our "paschal pilgrimage", offered at 6:00 PM Friday Feb. 22, March 8 and 22. (Worship Center), and one highlighted at the beginning of each weekend liturgy.
- Taizé Prayer will be chanted every Friday morning of Lent at 6:50 AM. (Worship Center)
- Presentation: Same Call, Different Congregations: The Vision of Worship in Vatican II and Today, presentation by Fr. Denis Robin-son, Tuesday, Feb. 26 at 7:00 PM. (Community Center)
- World Day of Prayer: Friday, March 1: St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, 1000 N. Beckley Station Rd. Registration: 10:00 AM. Worship at 10:30 AM. This year’s prayer service was written by the women of France. ATTENDEZ, S’IL VOUS PLAIT! Please bring canned goods for EACM.
- Lenten “Oasis” Prayer Day: Saturday, March 9, 9:00 AM through 5:30 mass (Worship Center, Community Center and Grounds)
- Individual Reconciliation will be offered at 3:30 PM Saturday Feb. 23, Mar 9 and 23 (Worship Center)
- Communal Celebrations of Reconciliation will be Sunday, March 10, 2:00 PM at St. Margaret Mary, and Tuesday, March 12, 7:00 PM at Epiphany
- Rosary Prayer: every Monday at 5:00 PM (chapel)
- Daily Mass: 8:30 AM, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
- Centering Prayer: 9:15 AM Fridays (Library)
- Simple Soup Suppers: 6:00 PM each Tuesday of Lent (Feb 19 & ,26, Mar 5,12 & 19; Community Center)