- Committee chair: Eileen Schweinhart (502-394-9745)
- Youth Representatives to the Parish Pastoral Council: Miranda Hileman and Orion Johns
- Staff representative: Tasha Villalobos (502-245-9733 x14)
- For Parental Permission forms [Click here]
- For Calendar of Events [Click here]
Epiphany Youth Ministry Mission Statement
Rooted in Catholic Identity, Epiphany Youth Ministry commits to teaching and spreading the values of Jesus Christ, empowering our youth to grow in integrity and personal development in a fun and social environment.
About the Youth Group
The Epiphany Youth Ministry program strives to accompany young people through a process of life formation. Rooted in the values and vision of the Gospel, with the support of community and through the deepening of relationships, EYM seeks to challenge and nurture the development of Catholic youth.
EYM offers a rounded program that affords a variety of opportunities and challenges to meet the diversity of parish youth - their needs, experiences, and interests. This approach is integrative, working in full collaboration with existing ministries and structures within the Epiphany community, Region VII Churches and the Archdiocese. EYM offers a three fold approach of spiritual, service, and social formation to form, educate, and aid youth not only in their Catholic faith formation but in their life formation.
This youth ministry programs offers the following: a welcoming atmosphere for teens of all backgrounds and interests, diverse social events, opportunities for Christian Service, a variety of prayer experiences, formation programs, retreats, sacramental preparation, and a safe and relaxing youth community.
- Junior High Youth Group (Grades 7-8): Meets on Sundays from 4:30-6:00 pm during the school year. The JHYG focuses on spiritual, service, and social formation through discussions and catechesis on passionate faith issues, relationship building, prayer, music, fun, and games. The “Junior High Core Team" (a Jr. High and adult planning team) works with the Youth Minister to prepare and implement the meetings.
- Senior High Youth Group (Grades 9-12): Meets on Sundays from 6:30-8:00 pm during the school year. The SHYG focuses on spiritual, service, and social formation through discussions and catechesis on passionate faith issues, relationship building, prayer, music, fun, and games. The “Youth Council” (a Sr. High and adult planning team) works with the Youth Minister to prepare and implement the meetings.
- “Called by Name” Confirmation Program (Grade 9): Confirmation is a one-year process beginning in the fall of the 9th grade and concluding on Pentecost in the Spring of 9th grade. . It employs small group interaction, service projects, retreats, and discussion by preparing Candidates to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation, giving them the tools necessary to begin the process of taking ownership of their faith and preparing them to live a life of putting their faith into action. Meets monthly on the first Wednesday, requires 5 service learning experiences, and provides the Candidates with two retreats. The Program runs from September-May.
- Social Activities (Grades 7-12): Are open to all teens of the parish. They include such day activities as parties, skiing, bowling, concerts, and trips to amusement parks; overnights, such as lock-ins, camping, canoeing or rafting trips, and other events planned occasionally throughout the year.
- Retreats and Prayer Gatherings (Grades 7-12): There is a cycle of retreats for all youth of the parish including the Sr. High Easter Vigil Retreat and Jr. High Spring Retreat allowing the youth a retreat experience to dive deeper into their faith. Other retreats are offered throughout the year through Epiphany and the Archdiocese of Louisville.
- Praise Band (Grades 7-12): Praise Band is open to all youth who sing and play instruments. They play Praise and Worship, Contemporary Christian Rock, and other Popular music for Youth Group events, Epiphany events, and for groups within the Archdiocese of Louisville.
Youth Stewardship Opportunities
- Leadership Development (Grades 7-12): Is an ongoing process in EYM. Some elements include youth planning teams for youth groups (see also Youth Council and CoreTeam) and programs, the Christian Leadership Institute (Summer), and the Summer Appalachia MissionTrip.
- Service Projects (Grades 7-12): Are for all teens of the parish. All Catholic Christians have the call to love others and to serve others. Service Learning opportunities are provided for the Youth Groups and Confirmation Class to act as Christ to others. Service projects are planned throughout the year, and a Summer Appalachia Mission Trip is held each Summer.
- Senior High Youth Council (Grades 9-12): is an enthusiastic group of Adult Leaders and Teen Leaders that works together with the youth minister to plan and lead the Sunday Youth Groups for Senior High. The Youth Council members meet once a month with the Junior High Core Team to plan meetings for upcoming month. Youth Council members learn valuable leadership skills, how to lead small groups, and how to speak in front of groups. Youth Council members also have an additional planning retreat each Fall.
- Junior High Core Team (Grades 7-8) is an enthusiastic group of Adult Leaders and Teen Leaders that works together with the youth minister to plan and lead the Sunday Youth Groups for Junior High. The Core Team members meet once a month with the Youth Council to plan meetings for upcoming month. Core Team members learn valuable leadership skills, how to lead small groups, and how to speak in front of groups. Core Team members also have an additional planning retreat each Fall.
Adult Stewardship Opportunities
- Junior High Adult Volunteers (Grades 7-8): JHYG meets on Sundays from 4:30 - 6:00 P.M. We need adults interested in the needs of Junior High youth, to serve as enthusiastic leaders and mentors, including attending JHYG meetings, leading small group discussions and occasional meetings. (See also Junior High Core Team.) Commitments are based upon the time volunteers can give
- Senior High Adult Volunteers (Grades 9-12): SHYG meets on Sundays from 6:30-8:30 P.M. We need adults interested in the needs of Senior High youth, to serve as enthusiastic leaders and mentors, including attending SHYG meetings, leading small group discussions and occasional meetings. (See also Youth Council.) Commitments are based upon the time volunteers can give..
- "Called by Name" Confirmation Program Leaders: Confirmation is a one-year process beginning in the fall of the 9th grade and concluding on Pentecost in the Spring of 9th grade. It employs small group interaction, service projects, retreats, and discussion. Confirmation meets once a month on the first Wednesday of the month and has a Fall and Spring Retreat. It runs September-May. We need adults willing to lead a small group of 8-10 candidates through the Confirmation process and serve as models of living Christian Faith and putting faith into action. Commitments are based upon the time volunteers can give.
- Operation Parent: Operation Parent is a program for parents of Junior High and Senior High youth. It educates parents about current issues and the lifestyle that adolescents are facing today. Some of the topics include: Four Things Parents Can Do Today to Protect Their Teens, Managing Internet Use & Access, Using Trust to Build Character, Signs and Symptoms of an Unhealthy Teen, and Why Schools Cannot Raise Our Kids. New classes form in the fall of each year.
- For more information about the program please go to the Operation Parent Website [Click here] or call Alice Gob at 339-0323.
- For Calendar of Session Dates [Click here]
For Questions, or to help with any of the above, contact the Parish Office, 502-245-9733.